Who can I contact in a crisis?

For all medical emergencies, dial 911 immediately. For a behavioral health crisis involving the child in your home, contact the Regional Behavioral Health Authority (RBHA) crisis line for your county:
Maricopa County — 1-800-631-1314602-222-9444
Pima County — 1-800-796-6762520-622-6000
Gila River/Ak-Chin Indian Community — 1-800-259-3449
Yuma, LaPaz, Pinal, Gila, Graham, Greenlee, Cochise and Santa Cruz Counties — 1-866-495-6735
Mohave, Coconino, Apache, Navajo and Yavapai Counties — 1-877-756-4090

For emergent suicide prevention, if you can't reach anyone on the county line, you can call one of two nationwide 24/7 hotlines:
Hope Line Suicide Hotline • 1-800-784-2433
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline • 1-800-273-8255

What medical services are covered?

The Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP) is the AHCCCS health plan for foster children. AHCCCS is Arizona's Medicaid program. CMDP/AHCCCS covers periodic screenings for problems with medical, vision, hearing and dental and includes immunizations, laboratory tests and health education. The services covered by CMDP are very comprehensive and include any necessary health care, mental health care, developmental care, rehabilitative therapies, diagnostic services or other measures recommended by a treating professional within the scope of their practice.

How can I get a copy of the child's CMDP insurance card?

Call CMDP to request the CMDP insurance card: 602-351-2245 or 1-800-201-1795. The CMDP insurance card is generally available about a week after the child is placed into foster care. Once the card is available, and the foster parent has made a request, the CMDP office generally mails the card within a day or two.

How do I find out the medical conditions of the child in my care?

Ensure that the child's caseworker provides you with the Health and Medical Report. Ask the caseworker to provide all medical information that is in the child's file. With the Notice to Provider that you receive upon placement, you can also request records from past medical, dental, vision, and behavioral health providers.

How can I get the child's immunization records?

The Arizona Department of Health Services (DHS) maintains an electronic registry of immunizations, and Arizona providers are mandated by law to report all immunizations of children ages birth through 18 in Arizona.

To get a copy of a child's immunization records, fill out the immunization records request form, and fax (602-364-3285) or email (ASIISrequest@azdhs.gov) the form along with a copy of the Notice to Provider, a copy of your driver's license, and instructions for where the records should be faxed, emailed, or mailed back to you.

You can also pick up a copy of a child's immunization records in person at the Arizona Department of Health Services, Immunization Program Office at 150 N. 18th Avenue, Suite 120 Phoenix, AZ 85007.

Which immunizations are recommended at which ages?

The Arizona Department of Health recommends following the schedules published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

How do I find a medical provider?

An online directory lists medical and dental professionals who are members of the Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program network of providers. But, as one experienced kinship foster parent shares, the list isn’t complete and, often, the best thing to do is just ask.

Are medications covered by the child's CMDP insurance?

Yes, prescription medications are covered by CMDP with no copay.

When filling prescriptions for psych medications, be sure the pharmacy uses the A number on the back of the CMDP card. If you do not have a copy of the CMDP card, call 602-351-2245 to get a copy of the card and to get the A number so that you can fill psych medication prescriptions in the meantime.

Some over the counter medications may be covered when the child's physician writes a prescription.

Can I get help with transportation to medical appointments?

Do you have a doctor appointment for your grandson next week but your car is not working and won't be in time for the appointment?

Contact your DCS Specialist for transportation assistance. If you still need a ride after contacting the DCS Specialist, call CMDP Member Services for additional help at 602-351-2245 and select option 3.

What pharmacy should I go to?

Walgreens pharmacies accept CMDP. For other pharmacies, find one using the CMDP Provider Directory.

Do foster caregivers pay anything?

No. There are no payments, fees or copayments for foster children or their caregivers for medical, dental, vision, or behavioral health services and equipment. Members and foster caregivers should not be billed for any services that CMDP covers. CMDP's payment to the provider is considered payment in full.

List CMDP as the responsible party on medical, dental, and vision forms. You do not need to list any personal information on any bills or claims.

Can I take the child in my care to a specialist or do I need a referral?

A referral is not needed for insurance purposes for a consultation with a specialist. However, some specialists may require that the primary care physician make a referral before they will accept an appointment.

How do I find a doctor out of state?

Please contact CMDP for assistance

Child Development

Should I get the child in my care assessed for developmental delays?

If you have a placed child under 3 years of age, you can request early intervention services online and seek the help of your Child Safety Specialist with enrollment if necessary.

The Arizona Early Intervention Program (AzEIP), is Arizona's statewide system of supports and services for infants and toddlers (birth to 36 months) with developmental delays or disabilities and their families. Developmental delays mean a child has not reached fifty percent of the developmental milestones expected at his/her chronological age in one or more of the following areas of development: physical, cognitive, language/communication, social/emotional, and adaptive self-help.

For children and youth (ages 3-21), you can receive special education and related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Part B. Refer to your school district to request an assessment and develop an IEP for the child, if needed.

Should I get the child in my care assessed for behavioral health services?

Your child's pediatrician with CMDP is responsible for assessing your child for possible need for behavioral health services.

Behavioral Health Services

How do I get mental health services for the child in my care?

Within the first few days of a child coming into foster care, Rapid Response evaluates the physical and mental health of the child. Rapid response enrolls about 90 percent of these children with a mental health service provider. To find out whether your child was enrolled with a mental health provider and which mental health provider was assigned, call the RBHA for your region.

Once you call the RBHA and get the contact information for the mental health provider, you can call to set up an intake. You must notify the caseworker of the appointment day and time of the intake.

Download a guide to understand the needs, support and treatment of children and adolescents in foster and adoptive care here.

How do I get prescriptions filled for psychiatric medications?

Psychiatric medications are covered by the RBHA rather than by CMDP. The A# on the back of the CMDP card must be used for psychotropic medications. If the pharmacy is having difficulty getting an approval for a psychotropic medication, make sure the pharmacy is using the A# from the back of the card.

How do I get the child in my care evaluated for psychiatric medications?

If the foster family has a notice to provider they can schedule the appointment and sign consents and obtain the services.

What if the child in my care needs more than regular therapy and psychiatric medications?

Talk to the child's therapist to find out what other options are recommended. Request a Child and Family Team (CFT) meeting to discuss these options and get approval.

Are behavioral health services available in the home?

In some regions, some behavioral health services may be provided in the home rather than in the office. Talk to the behavioral health provider that has been assigned to the child to find out what options are available.


Information on the medical needs for children in care (Crisis, Immunization, Behavioral Health)